Monday, February 9, 2009

CMYK blues


I look back at my graduate school days at Hopkins, and all I can remember is the wonderful people, one-of-a-kind experience, and overall, such a great time. 

What?  I wept in my mind during that time?

------


oh yeah.




-----

Printing.



We had a top notch (in my mind) Epson color  printer that did a wonderful job printing.  I used to curse at it, but it did print out 60+ pieces in full color in few nights for the graduate show at the end.  

Of course, we are not supposed to expect that a printout will be an exact duplicate of the screen view.  However, I did spend many hours erasing "smudges" and "random lines" that did not appear on screen, but appeared on the printout.  grrr.

It happened again.  No big surprise.   But it was a surprise!  What do you mean there is an unwanted line on my printout!!  It's not on the screen!


Top image is the printout
Bottom image is the screenshot

Oh yeah.  

So I 'think' the printer didn't like the fact that the montage was a true montage of cmyk, rgb, and greyscale tiffs composed in Illustrator.  I made the fix, and hopefully we won't see that blasted line again.  

Lessons learned:

1. Choose one mode.  
2. Always do a test print. 
3. Don't get upset at people at Kinko's.  

No comments: